6.20.2008

Eye Update {3.5 years}

In November's follow up appt., Dr. S. removed all but one suture in my eye that had the cornea transplant. Everything looked great with the exception of my vision. I had 20/20 since the surgery 3 years ago, but now my vision was reading 20/400 (where it was before the surgery)- I had definitely noticed a change. This was all due to my astigmatism returning (4 diopters) and developing a slight cataract due to the steroids I was given to prevent rejection of the cornea.

February's visit wasn't better as far as the cataract. It had gotten worse. I was given a prescription for the "dummy" lens in my right eye (woohoo, I could see again!). And we would discuss the possibility of surgery at the next visit in June.

Fast Forward to today. Visit went well..no tears this time! Dr. S. is so great, I couldn't ask for a better doctor (our kids are even about the same age). They performed the glare test and I didn't glare down past 20/50, so that was good (I don't drive much at night anyway). He did mention almost right away that I now was a candidate for the surgery. Good thing is, I can put it off. He wants to see me back in January- that's when the "new" cataract lens comes out (it is 4 diopters); it would be pointless to have the surgery now as the lenses only go up to 2.5 diopters.

I am not going to stress about it until I have to!

No comments: